Summary: We offer mailing
lists to share ideas and information with others via e-mail.
If you would like to join a mailing list or start your own, read the information
What is a Mailing List?
A mailing list distributes electronic mail (e-mail ) to
all users appearing on a mailing list. This service provides a convenient
means to exchange ideas and information between members.
Lists can be configured as:
- Announce Only
- Open discussion lists.
Mailing lists can also store all the messages associated with their lists
in archives, and allow users to search these archives.
We use the mailing list software called MAILMAN
Mailman gives each mailing list a unique Web page and allows users to subscribe,
unsubscribe, and change their account options over the web. The list manager
administers his or her list entirely via the Web. Mailman has most of the features
that people want in a mailing list management system, including built-in archiving,
mail-to-news gateways, spam filters, bounce detection, digest delivery, and
Top of Page
Why Should I Join?
You should join a mailing list to communicate with others
on campus or receive announcements about services that interest you. For example
OIT-Seminars is a list for announcing "Faculty and Staff
Computer Training Workshops and Seminars" presented or coordinated by
the Office of Information Technology.
Subscribe to a Mailing List
Most mailing lists are open to the entire campus community. Unless a list
individuals can add ("subscribe") or remove ("unsubscribe")
themselves to lists simply by going to: http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/listinfo for a list of publicly viewable lists on the server and clicking on the list
Top of Page
Request a Mailing List
- Who is eligible for a list?
- Mailing lists at UCI are meant for Education, Research, and Administration
and must be sponsored by a Faculty or Staff member.
- How do I create a list?
- You may request a list by filling out a request form.
Once the list has been created you will be sent e-mail with the management
URL and password to manage and further customize your list.
Request a Mailing List Form (Login Required)
What is the default configuration?
- Public Lists
- Anyone subscribed to the list can send to it with replies going to the
sender. Lists are publicly advertised and appear on the UCI list of mailing
- Mailing Lists are not archived by default.
- Replies to Mailing List
- By default, replies are sent to the Sender.
- Password Reminders
- Password reminders are sent to members each month.
- General Description:
- A short phrase identifying the list. This description is used when the
mailing list is listed with other mailing lists, or in headers, and so forth.
It should be as succinct as you can get it, while still identifying the purpose
of the list.
- General Information
- An introductory description - a few paragraphs - about the list. It will
be included, as html, at the top of the listinfo page. Carriage returns will
end a paragraph - see the details for more info. The text will be treated
as html except that new lines will be translated to <br> - so you can
use links, preformatted text, etc, but don't put in carriage returns except
where you mean to separate paragraphs.
- Make sure to review your changes - bad html (like some unterminated HTML
constructs) can prevent display of the entire listinfo page.
Top of Page
I am a Mailman list administrator. Where can I go to administer my list?
- Go to http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/admin/ for a list of publicly advertised lists.
- Click on the link to your list and login with the password you chose when setting up the list.
- If you have forgotten this password, go to http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/listinfo/ and
click on the list you manage.
At the bottom of the your list page will be a
place to enter your e-mail address to get a reminder of your list password.
How can I change the name of my existing list?
- Requests for changes should be sent to postmaster at uci.edu
- NOTE: Mailman does not provide a simple mechanism to rename a list.
- Our procedure to change a mailing list name is as follows:
- A new list is created with the same settings
- Subscribers from the old list are copied over to the new list.
- Email sent to the old list name is forwarded to the new list for six months.
- The list owner is responsible for communicating the name change to the list members.
- The previous mailing list is de-activated.
- Archives from the previous list will remain for as long as necessary based on the list owners requirements.
Mailman Administrator Handout
A detailed handout for mailing list administrators is available for download
in PDF format.
Mailman also has a list of e-mail commands you can send to the list.
Top of Page