OIT offers campus units the opportunity to benefit from a locally attached, custom configured firewall. Such a firewall provides flexibility and additional security to departments that require more than the basic service provided by the campus firewalls.
OIT will work with your department to identify, acquire, configure, operate, and maintain a firewall that is suited to your needs and compatible with campus standards. The initial consultation fee of $750 includes:
- A meeting with OIT network and security engineers to evaluate your requirements and existing environment.
- On-site analysis of your existing network configuration by OIT engineers.
- A detailed proposal from OIT network engineers for any network changes that will be needed to accommodate your firewall.
- An itemized quote from OIT security engineers for properly configured, campus standard firewalls meeting the requirements set out in the initial meeting.
- Firewall installation (2 hours of labor included, then standard charges apply.)
- Initial standard software and ruleset configuration (custom configurations extra.)
For campus units requiring multiple firewall sets at more than one physical location, an additional consultation charge of $400 per site applies. This fee covers the additional work required to perform network analysis and prepare more complex proposals in a multi-site environment.
When you receive your firewalls, OIT security and network engineers will configure and install them at our standard hourly billing rate. (No flat rate is offered for installation service because each installation is unique; however, the first two hours of installation are included with your initial consultation.) At the end of this stage, your department will have the benefit of a properly configured firewall.
Once your firewalls are up and running, OIT takes full responsibility for housing and administering the firewall. The client does not have to provide space for it, nor be concerned about keeping rulesets or software up to date. OIT provides 24×7 emergency support through our help desk, and the plan includes a number of hours of individualized consulting each month for complex configuration issues, special projects, and so forth.
The plan is summarized in the table below.
Service Feature Summary
|Installation||First 2 hours included. Additional labor at $65 per hour.|
|High availability||Dual redundant firewall configuration required.|
|Routine configuration changes||No charge.
1 business day turnaround†
|Complex configuration changes||Hourly charges may apply.|
|Emergency support||2 hour response during business hours, 4 hour response outside business hours‡|
|Support (One year renewal cycle)||$160 per month per firewall set|
|Min. hrs. billed, per event||Business hours: 30 minutes
Outside business hours: 2 hours
|Fees for additional hours||$40 per hour|
|Administration||OIT retains sole administrative control of firewalls and has primary responsibility for their operation.|
|Firewall location||OIT communications closet, providing enhanced protection for your firewalls.|
|Cisco Smartnet maintenance||Handled by OIT, cost passed through to client with 5% surcharge.|
† “Reasonable efforts” basis – response time not guaranteed.
‡ “Best efforts” basis – response time not guaranteed.
- Only OIT-approved firewall configurations, including failover units, are eligible for coverage.
- OIT provides professional pre-installation consultation, as described above, at a flat rate of $750. For those clients requesting ongoing support who did not work with OIT prior to installing and configuring their firewalls, a $750 contract initiation fee will apply. This fee will cover OIT evaluation of the existing setup, and development of a set of required modifications, if any.
- Services are limited to firewall support only. OIT does not take responsibility for client’s overall network security. The client is responsible for ensuring safe computing practices in its environment.
- NOTE: The standard firewall maintenance window for firewall updates/upgrades is on weekdays (Monday through Friday) from 5 am to 8 am.