The OIT Instant Messaging service offers a secure mechanism for collaborating with other members of the UCI community. We use real names and all communication stays within UCI.
Unlike email, instant messaging is a real time communications tool. Most instant messaging applications consist mainly of a list of contacts, and smaller windows for each one-to-one chat, and conference room.
- Pidgin – Windows and Linux
- Adium – Mac
- Apple Messages – Mac
- General Settings for OIT Instant Messaging
- What are the advantages to OIT Instant Messaging?
- Does the server keep a copy of my Instant Messages?
- Can I send messages to other services with OIT Instant Messaging?
- Are messages sent through OIT Instant Messaging Secure?
- What happens if I send an Instant Message to someone who is not currently online?
- What is my Instant Messaging address?
- May I use a nickname or an alias with OIT Instant Messaging?
- Are chat rooms available in OIT Instant Messaging?