Using UCInet Mobile Access requires registration of your hardware or MAC address. If you are using Manual Registration, you will need to locate the MAC address of your wireless device. Use the directions below to locate your MAC address.
What is a MAC address?
A MAC (Media Access Control) address is the hardware address of the Network Interface Card (NIC) of your computer. You must have it on hand to register for the UCInet Mobile Access network and campus-wide DHCP services. This Web page will help you locate and identify it so you may register your Network Interface Card (or cards) for the network.
Finding Your MAC Address
Windows (two methods)
- Click Start and in the Search Programs and Files box type ncpa.cpl and then push Enter on your keyboard.
- The Network Connections window will appear. Double-click on either Local Area Connection icon (if you are trying to register your Ethernet/wired connection) or Wireless Network Connection.
- In the window that appears, click Details… and in the subsequent window you’ll see the Physical Address field: that is your MAC address.
- Click Start then Run (in Windows 7, Start and type in the Search Programs and Files box.)
- Enter: cmd
- Enter: ipconfig /all
If the output scrolls off your screen, and it will on Vista and Windows 7, use: ipconfig /all | more
- The Physical Address is your MAC address; it will look like 00-15-E9-2B-99-3C. You will have a physical address for each network connection that you have.
- Become root, using su.
- Enter: ifconfig -a
# ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:3D:12:33:33 inet addr:10.248.155.17 Bcast:10.248.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0 inet6 addr: fe50::234:3dff:fe12:7d73/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:3489041718 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:3259212142 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:2732221481 (2.5 GiB) TX bytes:4065716672 (3.7 GiB) Interrupt:185
- The ethernet devices are called eth0, eth1, and so on The MAC address is in the first line of the output, labeled HWaddr, it is 00:09:3D:12:33:33.
Mobile - iOS, Android, Kindle
- From the Home menu, tap on Settings.
- Tap on General
- Tap on About
- Scroll down to Wi-Fi Address and write down the address. This is your MAC address.
- Under your Applications, select Settings
- Select About Phone (or Device)
- Choose Hardware Information
- our MAC address will be listed under Wi-Fi MAC Address.
- From the Home screen press Menu
- Select Settings
- The Wi-Fi MAC Address is located toward the bottom of the screen in the Device Info section.