If you are temporarily affiliated with UCI, teaching, doing research
with faculty, or have another valid reason (as determined by OIT), you can
obtain a Sponsored UCInetID. You will need a UCI faculty or management-level
staff sponsor who will apply for the account on your behalf.
Sponsored UCInetID Qualifications
To obtain a Sponsored UCInetID, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You must be connected with UCI.
For example, a visiting academic, volunteer faculty/staff, researcher
- You cannot be a current faculty or staff member at UCI.
- You cannot be a regular student at UCI.
- A valid faculty or management-level staff member at UCI must sponsor
You must be working with this person. He or she will be responsible for your
If a Sponsored UCInetID holder becomes a student or faculty/staff
member in the future, the Sponsored UCInetID entry will be automatically converted
to the new type. Sponsored UCInetID holders have the same privileges as faculty/staff,
including an e-mail account, access to Library services, and other campus services.
» Sponsored UCInetID Application
for a Sponsored UCInetID (Sponsor Login Required)
The Sponsor will need to know the date of birth and Social Security
Number of the person sponsored.
Sponsored UCInetID Creation Process
- Once your application has been processed, you will be assigned a UCInetID and
a Sponsored ID Number.
- The Sponsor will be notified via e-mail when the Sponsored ID Number
and UCInetID have been assigned.
- The OIT Help Desk or your Sponsor can inform you of your UCInetID
and ID Number once it has been assigned. This information is important
and needed to activate your account.
- Your UCInetID must be activated before it can be used.
The activation process allows you to identify yourself and set a private
password for your UCInetID.
- Your Sponsored ID Number is required to activate your
- For more information, see the UCInetID
Activations section on the OIT
As a member of the UCI and worldwide electronic community,
you are expected to follow UCI's Computer
Use Policy. Activating your UCInetID signifies acceptance of this
» Quarterly Sponsor Renewal Process
Sponsored UCInetIDs are sponsored on a quarterly basis, for a maximum
of 4 quarters at a time.
Approximately one month before the end of each quarter, sponsors
will receive an e-mail message as a reminder to renew Sponsored UCInetIDs.
Both sponsor and the person sponsored will be notified
about the upcoming expiration of the UCInetID.
The sponsor must review the list of UCInetIDs he or she is responsible
for and renew the sponsorship for up to four
additional quarters at a time.
» Updates to Sponsored UCInetID Holders
- If a Sponsored UCInetID holder becomes an employee or student, his
or her electronic directory record will be converted to the appropriate
type, student or employee.
- If a student or employee that was previously sponsored for a UCInetID
loses his or her student or employee status, the sponsored UCInetID
will be re-instated for one quarter. From that point, the quarterly
renewal process takes over again.