Internet Access

Welcome back, Anteaters! If you are returning for the first time this year and have an iPhone or iPad, you will need to register your device again to connect to the internet. This is due to a software change that Apple implemented last fall. In addition, the walk-in help desks in Aldrich Hall and the Administrative Modulars will remain closed until further notice, so please call or email us if you need help. Thanks!

Before you can connect to the campus Wi-Fi (UCInet Mobile Access) or Residential Network (ResNet), you must register the MAC address of your device, which is the unique physical address of the network card in your computer, smartphone, smart TV, gaming console, and any other network-capable device.

This can be done automatically or manually. Use the registration tools above to get started.

We have important information about our scope of support.

I live in graduate housing and need help setting up my router.

You can configure your router yourself by consulting our router setup page.

I am a student and I'm able to connect my computer/laptop wirelessly, but I'm having trouble connecting via Ethernet.

Keep in mind that your device will have a separate MAC address for your wireless and Ethernet adapter. Because of this, BOTH must be registered. So, if you have not yet registered your Ethernet MAC address, please do so on our registration application.

I work on campus and I'm having trouble connecting my computer/printer/device to Ethernet.

Ideally, you should partner with your CSC before proceeding as there are a number of steps involved including:

  • making sure the Ethernet jack is active in your office
  • making sure the network card in your device is properly configured (your CSC can tell you if you should be set up for DHCP or if you need to request a static IP address).

It's important to keep them in the loop because they will be responsible for supporting that device.

If they're unavailable, we can offer basic support such as finding out if the jack is active by searching the JPL (Jack, Port, Location) database. In order to help you, please provide the following:

  • your building name or number
  • your room/office number
  • the Ethernet wall jack number
  • a contact number where you can be reached

If it's not active, you'll need to fill out an SRF (Service Request Form). If it is active, we can offer basic troubleshooting. If the issue appears to be with the jack itself, we can open a ticket with our telecom field techs to come out and service the jack.

The wi-fi is slow in my office/my classroom/my dorm/my current location.

Unfortunately, network speeds can vary considerably across campus depending on your location, the time of day, the number of users in the same area hitting the same wireless access points, structural interference, and so on. Also, keep in mind that while wi-fi can be found across a large swath of campus, the wi-fi is not ubiquitous across campus. Visit our network locations page to see if there's a stable wi-fi connection in your location.

The simplest thing to do is to change locations (moving about 50-100 feet) to see if your network connection improves.

If that is not an option, you can open a ticket and our Telecom Field Techs can check the access points in your area to see if they're functioning properly. When opening a ticket, please provide the following:

  • your building name or number (or approximate location)
  • your room/office number
  • a contact number where you can be reached

Failure to provide this may result in delays in service. Thank you for your cooperation.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that if the access points in your department/school are regularly at capacity, it'll be up to your local CSCs to open an SRF and request an estimate to add more access points in your area. That process takes time and money to implement.

I live in undergraduate housing and want to set up a Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, printer, etc. Is that possible?

No. The undergraduate communities use a shared, public wi-fi called ResNet Mobile Access. The devices mentioned above rely on multicast technology and are constantly 'announcing' themselves to the network, which causes a lot of excess traffic.

Moreover, it could lead to privacy issues. Due to the communal nature of the network, if a student were able to access their own wireless printer or Chromecast, then every other student on ResNet Mobile could potentially access your devices as well.

We recommend you stream content on your computer, mobile device, smart TVs, and gaming console using the apps that are designed for your device. As for printing, we recommend you use a USB cable to connect to your printer or consider printing documents either in the computer lounge in your housing community or in OIT computer labs.

I am subletting my apartment this summer and want the person moving in to have internet access.

If you live in grad housing and are planning to sublet your apartment, it's important to realize if your subletter is not affiliated with UCI (meaning they don't have a UCInetID), then they will not have internet access automatically.

In order for the subletter to have internet access, you will need to manually register their devices' MAC addresses under your UCInetID. We suggest you send them this link which tells them how to find a MAC address on many different types of devices, and once they provide you with the addresses you'll need to use our Mobile Access Registration tool to register all of them.

By registering their devices under your UCInetID, you accept full responsibility for anything they do while using our network.

Please do NOT submit Sponsored UCInetID requests for subletters as they will be rejected.

I live in graduate housing and need help troubleshooting my wireless printer, gaming console, smart TV, etc.

We are more than happy to help you register all of your devices to connect them to the network; however, offering technical support on consumer electronic devices & computers is outside of the OIT Help Desk's scope of support. We will do our best to ensure that the wired network in these campus communities are operational and functioning normally. In addition, we will ensure that the Ethernet connections in your apartments are working correctly, but we cannot guarantee how your various endpoint devices (such as computers, smart devices, gaming consoles, printers, and routers) will work on our network.

If we test your Ethernet jack and are able to pull an IP address (or if your device is able to pull an IP address), that is the extent of our support. If you have any other technical support questions regarding these devices (including help with device drivers), please partner with the device manufacturers or reach out to AntTech. We do not support endpoint devices; we only support the network itself.

I'm having trouble with my cable television.

Please visit the Cable TV page for troubleshooting tips.

I've tried using the tools above and I'm still having issues

If you're unable to connect to either the UCInet Mobile Access (campus Wi-Fi) or ResNet (Residential Network), make sure you do the following:

  1. Check if your device is on the Registered Devices list. If not, register it.
  2. We recommend you continue your search in our comprehensive ServiceNow Knowledge Base.
  3. If you're still having trouble, feel free to open a ticket. When doing so, please provide the following:
    • Your full name
    • Your UCInetID (the first part of your email address, not your ID number)
    • A detailed description of the issue

    Failure to provide this information will delay our response.

Learn more about the UCI network and ResNet.

Return to the OIT Help Center.