Network Service Request

Due to a high volume of network and telephone requests for Return to Work, your preferred requested date of operation may be delayed. We are working through the orders and prioritizing each request.

Submit Network Service Request

Use this form to request for a new or modify an existing wired/wireless network service.

Types of services include support for, but not limited to:

  • New network jacks
  • Modifying existing network jacks
  • Any other network new/modify requests (that does not including fixing an existing network)

FAQ Network Service Request

How do I submit a network service request?

  1. Go to the Network Service Request.
  2. Under 'Primary user of the service,' enter the full name of the primary user.
  3. Under 'Request Type,' select the appropriate request type.
    • Add New: To activate a new jack/wired network configuration
    • Move Existing: To moving existing jack/wired network configuration to a new location
    • Change existing network information: To change existing jack/wired network configurations
  4. Fill out any other information in the Additional Comments field.
  5. Select Order Now to complete the order.

I have a wall jack but I when I plug something in, nothing happens. What should I do?

It is likely the jack needs to be activated by one of our technicians. Fill out a Network Service Request and select 'Add New.'

When I plug my computer into the wall jack, it shows a link light, but nothing seems to work. What should I do?

If you get a link light, the jack is already activated. Send an email to we can help you determine what to do next.

I need a lot of jacks activated. Should I still use the Network Service Request?

If the jacks and wiring already physically exist in the walls, we can process bulk requests through this form. To do so, explain your circumstances in the Additional Comments field and we will do our best to assist you.

If you know you will need jacks activated for wiring that hasn't been installed yet or are requesting jack activations as part of a university project, please use the Project Consulting Service Request so that we can better assist you.

My request is about wireless, not wired networking. Can I use the Network Service Request?

If you have a need for a specific wireless configuration involving the existing wireless infrastructure, please send an email to to discuss the details before submitting the form.

If your request involves new or improved wireless coverage, please use the Project Consulting Service Request. Adding wireless coverage involves equipment costs and is handled as an infrastructure project.

When should I not use this form?

  • In the event you would like to request for a project consulting service, please use the Project Consulting Service Request.
  • In the event you would like to request new or modify an existing Telephone Service, please use Telephone Service Request.
  • If you would like to report an issue with an existing network, send an email to and provide the location and brief description.

I've looked at the questions above but I'm still having trouble.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to open a ticket. When doing so, please provide the following:

  • Your full name
  • Your UCInetID (the first part of your email address, not your ID number)
  • A detailed description of the issue

Failure to provide this information will delay our response.

Return to the OIT Help Center.