The Security and Access Maintenance System (SAMS) is the legacy system used to regulate and restrict access to the Payroll system (PPS), EDL and various HR-related systems. It has been succeeded by KSAMS, which now controls access to KFS and many other business applications and secured systems.

Access to the above systems is granted in SAMS by Departmental Security Administrators (DSAs). If you don't know who you're DSA is, please speak with your supervisor or contact the Help Desk.

Please note that you cannot access SAMS from off-campus without first using the VPN.

I've been given PPS access but cannot lookup certain employees in my department

It's possible that your DSA did not grant you adequate access to the correct Home Department Codes. You may need to speak with your DSA to have them review your access by comparing it with someone else in your unit who is able to look up the employees in question. If they're still having trouble, they can contact the Help Desk for assistance.

I can log in to EDL but cannot find the reports I'm looking for

Your DSA may have set you up using the wrong hierarchy. Please open a ticket with the Help Desk for support.

I'm a DSA but cannot grant a certain function to one of my users.

It's possible that the function you are trying to grant access to requires a Super DSA to perform. The OIT Help Desk staff are the Super DSAs for the campus, but before we can grant the elevated access you will need to fill out an Access Approval Request Form.

On the form, you'll need to state the reason for the request and list OIT as the DSA (with the email address of Once we get the form, we'll approve it and proceed.

I'm unable to print from PPS.

If you were able to previously print, open a ticket with the Help Desk to see if the printer has gone offline in the Virtual Printing System (VPS). If you've never printed from PPS before, it's likely you'll need to fill out an Exhibit H form so we can add your desk printer to the VPS.

If you've changed departments and are using a printer that belonged to someone else, open a ticket with the Help Desk because we'll need to update your printer's 'U' number in SAMS.

I recently changed departments. What do I need to do?

Please ask your new DSA to fill out the Access Approval Request Form listing OIT as the DSA (use the email address Once we get that form, we'll cancel your access to your old department. We need this form for auditing purposes.

After we cancel your access, we'll let your DSA know. At that point, you will need to login to SAMS and do your eLogin, which will generate a new account that will correspond to your new department (provided you've already been set up in payroll in your new department). After you do your eLogin, please inform your DSA and ask them to set up your access.

Why do I have to do an 'eLogin'?

If you're a new employee (or a current employee who's transferred to a different department), your manager or DSA will ask you to do an eLogin. The eLogin process will generate a new IR login, which is the username you'll use to login to PPS.

  1. Login to SAMS by selecting the link at the top of the page.
  2. Under the Home tab, select eLogin.
  3. In the popup that appears, agree to the Terms of Service by clicking "I Agree" (the TOS is an agreement between you and UCI that you will not misuse this privileged access).
  4. Wait about a minute and you should see a confirmation page. That's it!

I've tried the steps above and I'm still having issues

We recommend you continue your search in our comprehensive ServiceNow Knowledge Base.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to open a ticket. When doing so, please provide the following:

  • Your full name
  • Your UCInetID (the first part of your email address, not your ID number)
  • A detailed description of the issue

Failure to provide this information will delay our response.

Return to the OIT Help Center.